Freshman Interest Groups (FIGs) Learning Communities
A group of around 20-25 students who will reside on the same floor/wing because of shared interest. Through this shared interest, students will develop fulfilling intellectual and social relationships. FIGS will consist of Nursing, International & Language, Walk by Faith, QEP, Undecided Majors and Service & Leadership with a focus on Community Service. Each floor/wing will have a resident assistant who is in the same major. (Not every student on the floor will be a part of the LC) Each floor/wing will have various activities such as:
- Study groups
- Dedicated website for each community
- Seminars including time management, resume writing etc.
- Common Reading
- Interactions with Liaisons assigned to the floors
- Campus Life and Community Involvement opportunities
- Field Trips
Housing/Roommate preference forms will be distributed at Summer Orientation to students who have paid their $200 Room deposit through admissions.
FIGS (Freshman Interest Groups) are Learning Communities that will help Bethune-Cookman students acclimate to the community faster and have a sense of belonging while aiding in retention of our students. FIGS seek to enhance and enrich the freshman experience both in and outside of the classroom.
- Provide a cohort of students who share the same academic interest with whom they will study, live and work closely together.
- Create and develop a sense of responsibility within the Learning Community
- Aid students in making a smoother transition from High School to College
- Encourage academic engagement and excellence through faculty involvement outside of the classroom
- Lead to increased class participation and increased GPAs
- Aid in retention efforts and student accountability to increase possibility of graduating in four years