Program Details for Summer 2019
The REU Site: Mathematical Modeling in Environmental, Biological and Other Sciences (
For updates on the program, please check back at this webpage. If you have specific questions, do not hesitate to send an e-mail to the faculty mentors on the contact list.
- B-CU is located at 640 Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114
- Daytona Beach is a city on Florida’s Atlantic coast. It’s known for Daytona International Speedway, which hosts February’s iconic Daytona 500 NASCAR race. The beach has hard-packed sand where driving is permitted in designated areas. Near the boardwalk’s rides and arcades, Daytona Beach Bandshell stages free summer concerts. Steps from the beach, Daytona Lagoon Water Park offers go-karts, laser tag, and waterslides. Each year, events in Daytona Beach and the surrounding area bring visitors to the fun, sun, surf and one-of-a-kind experiences. The Daytona Beach area is a wonderful blend of the easy beach lifestyle and world-class arts and entertainment events. Social field trips include the famous Independence Day fireworks on the beach.
- Earned a minimum of 30 college credits with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale before the beginning of the program.
- Provide transcript of college credits (unofficial transcript suffices) upon selection.
- Participate in the summer research experience full-time.
- Housing is in groups of two participants in campus new dormitory.
Applicationwill be open December 15th - February 28th
- Application deadline is April 3, 2019, view Online REU Application form.
- Program duration, Sunday, June 2, 2019 arrival - Sunday, July 28, 2019 departure
Program Benefits and Requirements for Supported Participation:
- Program stipend $4,000
- B-CU campus housing and food allowance provided
- Travel allowance provided
- Eligibility requirements for participants supported by federal grants:
- be a continuing undergraduate student at an accredited academic institution in the U.S. (i.e., still be a student in the fall semester following the program; this is an NSF requirement and cannot be waived)
- provide documentation of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency (this is a requirement for funding support from U.S. federal sources)
More Information on the Program (Abstract)
Mathematical Modeling in Environmental, Biological, and Other Sciences (
The Program also fosters long-term mentoring relationships between participating students and faculty through intensive collaboration and interaction. The Program looks for at least 80% of URM participants to increase diversity in
With mathematical modeling as the main precept, a multidisciplinary team of science, mathematics, and computer science faculty will provide to participating students research-learning experiences in the data analytic aspects of multiple scientific disciplines including mathematics, chemistry, computer science, biological and environmental sciences. Instructions include the introduction to modeling; data analytic software training; LaTeX document preparation training; research paper writing and poster design; Excel modeling (spreadsheet modeling) tutorial; and working on cutting-edge research projects in different areas on mathematics, biology, chemistry, environmental science, and computer science. Students will work in groups. Students and faculty will be encouraged to continue their work during the year and submit their research papers to professional journals. Students are also encouraged to present their work at conferences throughout the year. Participants and involved faculty will stay connected to form research and professional networks that will remain after the Program. The participants will be well prepared for graduate studies in STEM fields and various careers that will have a positive impact on our society.
This combination of aspects will give participants a powerful and exciting experience of how to combine learning with applying the material to project work, all in an atmosphere of mutual support by all members of the project from undergraduate students, faculty mentors, to clients.