All Ensembles are divided into either Small or Large Ensembles and receive one credit hour of credit. All music majors must complete four semesters of large ensemble and three semesters of small ensemble. Students normally enroll in ensembles every semester until requirements are met. The ensembles are intended to provide the following opportunities:
- To give students the opportunity to perform
master worksand contemporary selections.
- To give students the experience of playing with like and mixed instruments in a small ensemble.
- To enable students to utilize the acquired techniques from applied music in a small group setting.
- To expose the student to a variety of standard literature in a small or large ensemble.
There are opportunities for performance
- Chamber Singers
- Brass Ensembles (Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba-Euphonium, Quintet)
- Jazz Combo
- Mixed Instrumentation
- Opera Workshop & Musical Theatre Scenes
- Percussion Ensemble
- Woodwind Ensemble (Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone)
Pep Band and University Band do not fulfill any music major ensemble degree requirements. Participation in the Marching Wildcats two separate fall semesters may be used to satisfy 1 large ensemble requirement and the Health & Wellness General Education Requirement.
Auditions for Symphonic, Concert, and University Bands will be held usually in late October.
Students will be called to audition by section or other orderly manner decided upon prior to audition dates.
The audition committee will consist of members of the Band Staff and other faculty members as needed.
Students will be expected to demonstrate:
- Scales/rudiments appropriate to the instrument,
- A prepared excerpt supplied in advance, (Applied faculty members may be consulted to supply the excerpt from standard literature.)
- Possible sight-reading