Richard Vernon Moore, Sr.
1947 – 1975
Richard V. Moore, Sr. became the third president of Bethune-Cookman College in 1947.
Under his tenure, the college was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1970, joined the United Negro College Fund and other academic and professional organizations.
He led a significant expansion of academic programs offered by B-CC, creating new majors in music, physical education, pre-medicine, pre-dental and pre-pharmacy during his first year in office. Later in his tenure, Moore launched the Business Division in response to changing interests of students. The expanded business programs included majors in business education, business administration with emphasis in marketing and management, accounting and economics.
Enrollment doubled during Moore’s tenure, with faculty increasing at commensurate levels to maintain an 18:1 faculty student ratio. Moore also oversaw significant improvement in library resources including the construction of the Swisher Library in 1970. Other new buildings constructed under the leadership of Moore include: Heyn Chapel (1961), Helen Kottle Memorial Classroom building (1964), Lefevre Residence Hall (1966), Charles Parlin Student Center (1966), and Ja-Flo Davis Residence Hall (1972).
Prior to becoming B-CC’s president, Moore served as principal of a number of high schools in Florida, and was appointed the Florida state supervisor of Negro secondary schools.
Moore graduated with a B.A. from Knoxville College in 1932 and received his M.A. from Atlanta University in 1944.
Source: Bethune-Cookman College 1904 – 1994: The Answered Prayer to a Dream;
Sheila Y. Fleming, Ph.D.